Monday, July 23, 2012

Making Straight Paths

Lestat's Coffee House.
A 24 hour coffee place decked out with vintage furniture and strange pieces of art. This being my fourth time to be here in the last few weeks, I decided to take the time to post. Yes, I'm still poor, but this cheesecake, coffee, and atmosphere is worth it. Not to mention the 5 other girls who joined me tonight.

Today was the last day for me to evangelize on the campus of University of California at San Diego. I have enjoyed the conversations I've had there. The campus is dark spiritually, but most students are eager to talk about deep issues and spirituality. I have had conversations with some pretty darn smart people such as a neuroscience research graduate student. I love it. I love showing the simple truth of the Gospel to science intellectuals who think they know it all. I love sharing God's truth on a campus that elevates human knowledge above all (its library is modeled after the Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil, for goodness sake!). I'll miss UCSD for sure.

Many of the things that have been happening this summer can't be recorded in a public blog, or even words. God is opening my eyes to struggles that I never thought I owned. It has been a grueling summer, but I know that my perfect Father is disciplining me. This is love. "Have you forgotten the exhortation that addresses you as sons? 'My son, do not regard lightly the discipline of the Lord, nor be weary when reproved by him. For the Lord disciplines the one he loves, and chastises every son whom he receives.' It is for discipline that you have to endure. God is treating you as sons. For what son is there whom his father does not discipline?... Therefore lift your drooping hands and strengthen your weak knees, and make straight paths for your feet, so that what is lame may not be put out of joint but rather be healed." (Hebrews 12:5-7,12-13) These verses have become the theme for my summer here.

God has blessed me in incredible ways. I have a coffee and cheesecake filled stomach, a new accountability partner sitting next to me, new music (The Lumineers), and a deep comfort and contentment that comes with loving discipline.

1 comment:

  1. Psa 107:1-9 ESV - Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good, for his steadfast love endures forever! Let the redeemed of the LORD say so, whom he has redeemed from trouble and gathered in from the lands, from the east and from the west, from the north and from the south. Some wandered in desert wastes, finding no way to a city to dwell in; hungry and thirsty, their soul fainted within them. Then they cried to the LORD in their trouble, and he delivered them from their distress. He led them by a straight way till they reached a city to dwell in. Let them thank the LORD for his steadfast love, for his wondrous works to the children of man! For he satisfies the longing soul, and the hungry soul he fills with good things.

    Need I say more...

    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete